60s Plastic Fantastic - Trash to Treasure (Induction Project)



This was my very first L3 Textiles project at Central College Nottingham. It was exhibited as part of the Nottingham City Live Art Project at Light Night February 2016. The purpose of this was to create and make a 1960s costume out of used and unwanted materials; it also had to be based on Geometrics, Grids, Swirls and Curves. The point of the induction project was to determine whether the course was right for me or not. Well after the journey and experience I had, it was definitely the right course for me. The class and I were split up into two groups. One for the female costume and one for the male costume; I was selected in the male group. This was a time to get to know one another and to have a chance to work together as a team, which is what people do in the textiles/fashion industry. It wasn't easy for us all because we're used to working with people we know very well, but as soon as we expressed our own creative ideas in the group, we started to communicate more and work well together. All of us presented our samples to see which ones best suited the costume we were going to design. My samples were mostly PVA, since they were my best ones. It was really cool to see the decorations, that I placed on the surface of the glue, look so attractive once it's dried. It was a tough decision for us all because all samples looked really good, but we needed to pick a few to fit in with the design. I participated in being the model for the group, so I didn't do much of the creative bits. Of course there were a lot modifications during the process of the design. Some bits didn't work, some needed changing and there were new spontaneous ides that we didn't think of. After weeks of experimenting, absences, stress, researching and designing, we finally made the costume. As part of our Visual Recording unit, we all had to do a visual study (drawing, painting & collage) of our finished costume. Other than drawing being my favourite part of the study, it was fun to collage it with the materials that the group and I have used for the costume, it makes the drawing look 3D and realistic. However the hardest part was measuring the proportion of the costume by using a pencil. It wasn't easy at the beginning, but I gotten used to as I kept on practicing. With that task done, we finally got to exhibit our work around the college. And then months later, it was exhibited at Light Night for the Nottingham City Live Art Project 2016.











































































Comments