Meet Albert, the Autistic Teddy Bear

In this project, which was called 'Felt making - Sweet Charity,' I had the opportunity to create a Felt Bespoke Product for my chosen charity, Autism. The purpose of this project was to raise money and to promote the charity that I would passionately want to raise awareness for. I chose Autism because I was born with it and it's something that made my life extremely challenging. It wasn't easy for me to make friends, I always felt lonely and Isolated, I can easily feel low and depressed, plus I can get lots of anger issues. But behind all the negatives I am talented in writing and art. Also despite being moody and angry most days, I can be a nice girl with a BIG heart.
I chose to make a teddy bear (Albert) because I can be a child at heart. I loved playing with teddy bears ever since I was a little girl. They've always been my best friends when I had no other friends. They make you feel loved, valued and special. They never judge you and they give you the comfort you need when you're in a emotional state. I was inspired by Children in Need's Pudsey for his character and his colourful spots, also Disney's Inside Out influenced me for the felt lollipops (the ones with the different emotions facial features, which is the picture on the right) because this could teach autistic people how to identify their emotions, with colour. The colourful spots are also inspired by the movie. So this 'Teddy Bear idea' would be great for autistic people because obviously I know what they are all going through and also what it feels like to suffer in loneliness and isolation. But with a teddy bear, they won't ever have to feel lonely and rejected anymore. The teddy bear can also be for people who are not autistic too, if they feel the need for comfort in their lives. It doesn't matter the age range as long as he or she is aged 4 - 100. Plus, it could give them the sympathy and knowledge to see how autistic people have difficult lives. This would be great for them  to understand the puzzling condition.



Comments